Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dedicated to 'LEROY JOHNSON'




This piece is a 'tangible testimony' of a very peculiar experience had more than 10 years ago, when I found myself having an argument with the dancer that during my teens was one of my idol, Gene Anthony Ray, alias 'Leroy Johnson', who was very famous during the 80s, from a TV programme called 'Fame'.

We had a chance to meet several time in a bar were I was working at the time, in Bologna, in Italy. Therefore, various vicissitudes had already happened between us; so the story is that one night I went home after work and strange but true he was there, (my flatmates brought him home) in my own house, wearing my bathrobe, on top of his clothes. It was question of minutes and my patience was gone, so that I had an argument with him. The bathrobe was the last straw!

I kept this bathrobe for many years, waiting to use it in a way that would have give to it the right importance. That is the reason that made it a piece of art; it became a testimony of a very peculiar experience that can be also remembered as a tragic/funny story.

This explains the choice of the title, used as a brief suggestion for the viewer.

FINAL PIECE

'...and so I had an argument with Leroy Johnson, from Fame'

No comments: