Wednesday, February 9, 2011


MARCEL DUCHAMP


One of the major exponent of Avant-Garde Art. I believe that his work shifted Art to another level, influencing the all development of post WWI Western Art.

His subversive actions changed the world of art for ever, and I strongly believe that if Duchamp did not exist, art today would have been very different.



Humor was also one of his major characteristic, able to change the perception towards a work of art, especially within his 'ready made'.



'The creative act is not performed by the artist alone; the spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by deciphering and interpreting its inner qualifications and thus adds his contribution to the creative act.'

Marcel Duchamp



DUCHAMP, BEUYS AND I




This is a sink found in my work place, and as soon as I saw it I straight away had the image of the 'complete set', considering that a paragraph of my thesis is focused on two of the artists that inspired me all along the course of my BA final year: Marcel Duchamp and Joseph Beuys. Referring to Duchamp's urinal and Beuys' bathtub, I thought it would have been a fantastic idea completing the bathroom set within the world of art of the XX-XXI centuries. It is an idea that follows the importance of the humor present in art, especially emphasised by avant-garde artists such as Duchamp and Beuys.



'Fountain', 1917



No Title, 1960



'Finally we have the whole set!', 2011


1 comment:

anon, xxi said...

Que Bosta, hein? Destruindo a América?